|Job Title||Flight Transport Nurse|
|Location||North Central Texas|
|Department||EMS Flight Operations|
RN, ICU, ER, Certified Flight Nurse, CCRN Certificate, Certified Emergency Nurse, EMT-P Certificate, ATLS Certification, ACLS Certification, PALS Certification, BLS Certification, NRP Certification.
CareFlite’s mission is to bring help and hope to patients and families following a terrible trauma or experiencing a sudden medical event.
CareFlite is a 501(c)3 nonprofit Air Ambulance Company serving the North Texas Area since 1979 and provides air ambulance transport for scene calls and inter-facility transfers. CareFlite’s fleet consists of 2 - Bell 429 and 5 - Bell 407GX helicopters, as well as a King Air 90 for long distance transfers throughout the US. CareFlite is a safety conscientious company that can complete IFR missions in the Bell 429, whose aircraft are equipped with auto pilots, and who utilizes the Anvis 9, White Phosphorus NVGs in the Bell 407GX airframe.
This position requires a personal commitment to CareFlite’s mission and core values, and the willingness to demonstrate those core values in all activities performed for CareFlite, or while representing CareFlite. The incumbent(s) of this position are active participants in the organization and support the changes necessary for the organization’s survival.
The Flight Nurse and Flight Paramedic will work together as a team to provide emergency transport services primarily by helicopter, fixed wing, and when necessary by ground. The crew schedule varies and will be a combination of 24 hour, 12 hour, & on call to include a mix of weekend, night, & day shifts. CareFlite has competitive salaries that include shift differentials, on call, holiday, and overtime pay. CareFlite has a comprehensive benefit package and 401K plan with aggressive employer matching.
In its commitment to quality critical care, CareFlite offers to each Flight Nurse & Flight Paramedic:
- Quarterly Human Patient Simulator training
- Annual Cadaver Labs
- CQI based monthly education
- Clinical rotations in Emergency Department and Operating Room for advanced procedures
- Reimbursement for advanced certification fees
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Transport Nurse cares for critically ill or injured patients. He/She performs the technical procedures/tasks safely (without causing harm), legally (complies with policy/law), efficiently (uses resources appropriately) and effectively (achieves the intended outcome).
- He/she assures compliance with all applicable standards by maintaining a thorough working knowledge of advanced clinical procedures, patient care protocols, aviation safety, radio communications, medical equipment, emergency/survival procedures and continuous quality improvement and management initiatives.
- Participates in daily shift duties to maintain the medical component of the helicopter equipment and supplies in a state of readiness to respond immediately to transport requests.
- Attends all mandatory in-services including staff meetings, procedure labs and training offerings.
- The Transport Nurse is responsible for fostering and developing positive collaboration between CareFlite and its internal and external customers. He/she ensures the positive image of CareFlite and exemplary customer service in all aspects of their operations which include landing zone courses, CareFlite tours, patient follow-ups, equipment return to referral agencies, and outreach initiatives.
- The Transport Nurse will consistently respond to mission requests safely and urgently, while working to reach the patient and customers to provide help and hope. Transporting patients to definitive care will be accomplished safely and urgently.
- The Transport Nurse will maintain operational readiness by completing transports efficiently, prepare to accept multiple missions, rapidly turn after missions, and minimize out of service time.
- The Transport Nurse will provide professional, timely, and thorough responses to external customers, peers, supervisors, and management.
- The Transport Nurse will complete all required assignments on time, or ahead of schedule.
- The Transport Nurse will consistently render the highest quality patient care in a professional, expedient, and comprehensive manner.
- The Transport Nurse will actively participate in quality assurance/improvement activities as directed by their supervisor. Each incumbent will acquaint themselves with the quality assurance surveys and/or quality improvement projects which affect their practice and adhere to the standards or changes implemented. Each incumbent will provide feedback in a positive proactive manner on quality assurance/improvement activities which impact their practice.
- The Transport Nurse will diligently complete patient care records that are thorough, accurate and submitted correctly.
- The Transport Nurse will identify efficient or cost saving ideas in a timely manner to their immediate supervisor. He/she will ensure that their time and attendance record is accurate and complete on a timely basis.
- The Transport Nurse will utilize their free time while on duty to improve their professional skills, participate in work related projects and complete mandatory job requirements.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Currently licensed as a registered nurse in Texas.
- Current certifications in BCLS, ACLS, PALS, and NRP preferred upon hire. All are required prior to completion of the air orientation process.
- TPATC or ATLS Audit preferred upon hire. ATLS audit required within six months of hire.
- Texas EMT-P certification or licensure preferred upon hire and required within 18 months of hire
- At least 3 years of experience as an RN in the Emergency Department and/or ICU. A combination of Emergency Department and ICU experience preferred.
- National Board Certification (CEN, CCRN, CFRN) is preferred. Certified Flight Registered Nurse (CFRN) is preferred upon hire, and required within 18 months of hire. First attempt at exam must be made within 12 months of hire date.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIRED: Moderate to Heavy
PHYSICAL/MENTAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Holding, Lifting
- Squatting, Standing
- Bending, Kneeling
- Climbing, Walking, Running
- Pushing, Twisting
- Pulling, Carrying
- Ability to see, Ability to distinguish colors
- Ability to hear, Ability to verbally communicate
- Cognitive ability to reason, process, etc.
- Ability to work in confined/cramped environment